Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Interview with Ronna Gage

Tell us a little about your writing. What type of stories do you like to write? Any characters you like to write about? Any themes you find especially inspiring?

I like to write about things I know mostly such as teaching and law enforcement. I try to make them realistic. In my paranormal time travel was in the end realistic to believe. the guy was in a coma for the duration of the story. I LOVE to tackle social issues at some point in my stories.

What is your favorite part of the writing process? What are your most dreaded tasks? Anything special you do to get through the tough parts?

My favorite part of the writing process is the creating. I love to sit at my computer and let my mind go wild. And if I've done it right, I get to fall in love with the characters.

I guess the dreaded part is the edits. Sometimes I don't want to let some information go, but I trust my writing partners Ava James and You to guide me in the right direction.

What’s a typical day look like for you? What’s your writing schedule? When you’re not writing what are you doing?

A typical writing day starts at 8:00 a m. I take my son to school about 7:45 and come home to write and promote....another dreaded, but must be done task, and that takes up most of my morning. I write a chapter a day and I will promote for an hour.

When I'm not working on a writing project, I am working at Wal Mart--I love it there--or I'm at my son's school as a substitute.

What author is your work most like? What author would you like to be more like?

I would hope that I write like Sandra Brown or Sylvia Day. I get a lot of my inspiration from them.

What is your favorite guilty pleasure?

Chocolate/ sweets/ my triglyceride take a beating for it, but it's so good.

If you could have one wish, what would it be?

It's kind of vain, but to make a GREAT living at writing. To be a beloved author, to have many fans...but that will come in time.

Who is your favorite TV show? Why?

My favorite TV show is Hawaii 5-0. LOVE all of them Next would be Castle.

That is the one thing you most want to do that you haven’t yet?

Cruise to Alaska. I think it would be a fun cruise if a bunch of us Romance Authors got together with our families and had a convention. Stop at ports during the day to meet and greet fans, and then sail away at sunset.

What book are you reading now?

I haven't had much time to read with two jobs. I have many stockpiled books in my corner and it's growing.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Keep writing fun for you. This isn't an easy business to get into, and in a blink of your eye, you can be at the bottom again even on your second book. Know that potential fans like many genres to read. and write till you find your niche. If it was easy, then everyone would be writers.

Tell us about your current projects and where we can purchase it. Where can we find you on the web?

My current project is The Search is Over. It came out yesterday. You can purchase it at Siren Publishing. This story is about how I met my husband. The names have been changed to protect the innocent....guilty....everyone.

Buy Link: http://www.bookstrand.com/the-search-is-over

I have my second print book out...Send Her to Me. I am so excited. You can purchase it at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Here is a blurb for The Search is Over

The notorious Rafe Sines is back and the neighborhood won’t be the same. The news spreads like wildfire with friends waiting to see the new changes. Home after a bitter divorce, Rafe seeks to find the man he’s become. In a quiet trailer park on the outskirts of town, a young woman captures his attention. Trouble is she’s taken. When they meet, all bets are off. The so called boy friend is out of the picture clearing his path to her.

Candi Patterson shares living expenses with her coworker and her boyfriend. Working nights as a bartender and going to school during the day is hard on a girl’s social life. Feeling lonely, Candi agrees to date her roommate’s son. Only to later be told that he is moving back north. Devastated, she comes to the reality that love stinks. It gets in the way of her goals and she has too much going on to complicate things with dating. In a chance meeting, Candi meets someone who makes her reconsider that earlier decision.

Chapter One

Saturday, 9:20 am, Rigali Avenue, Atwater Village, Los Angeles

The brown Ford squealed when it failed to take the corner at sixty. Instead it threw up streamers of dust as it bounced onto a gravel verge into an empty parking lot. Martinez cursed as his partner, LAPD homicide detective David Eric Laine took the same path, their unmarked Crown Vic blowing out whatever shocks might have been left in the aged vehicle when they screeched onto the lot. Martinez reported their twenty and called for backup, then hung on as David maneuvered ever closer to the other car’s rusted out bumper.

David ignored everything but the Ford and the two Pinoy boys they’d been closing in on for days. Since somebody stomped a Temple Street Trese boy to death and put all the Asians on edge, ready to stomp back. David and Martinez were working with the local gang crew to try to stop it before it got bloody.

They’d spotted Sokun, the leader of the Pinoy’s at a liquor store on Brunswick five minutes ago, the chase had been on. David figured they would try and double back, make a break for Rigali. But then a whoop and a new cloud of dust announced their backup had arrived. A black and white roared in, lights and siren on full code three.

What Sokun did next startled David. Instead of braking and coming around, the brown piece of crap’s laboring engine roared, tires spat gravel and the car lunged forward. The fence protecting this section of concrete river was old and worn through years of neglect and abuse. Twisted by the elements and vandals, repaired repeatedlly, it inclined at a fifty degree angle, sagging as though tired of trying to hold out the world.

The Ford slammed into it at a good twenty miles per and snapped off the single metal pole pole, puncturing the radiator and killing the engine. There was a tortured shriek of metal on metal, sparks flew from underneath the battered vehicle. The engine rattled to a stop.

Both doors flew open. Sokun and his passenger bailed. The passenger, who David hadn’t been able to ID, headed north. Sokun scrambled over the battered remnants of fence and vanished over the lip of the cement trough.

“Oh, tell me he did not just do that,” David muttered.

Martinez growled what might have been a reply before he too was out the door and hot on the trail of the passenger, along with a young, female uni. David bolted after Sokun. The other uni followed.

David always figured he was in shape. He ran nearly every day with Sergeant, the Doberman he and Chris had adopted three years ago. Legs pumping, he slowed only long enough to clamber over the chain link and he was off, half skidding, half running down the angled concrete wall, avoiding chunks of broken wall, hot on Sokun’s ass.

If you could be any paranormal creature, what would you be?

A vampire....I think. I lost my father a year ago last Christmas. I am in the 'I wonder what Dad would do/say right now' phase. If he were a vamp, he'd have no pain, no death, and unfortunately no soul. That is the drawback.

2 comments:

Willa Edwards said...

Thanks so much for stopping by to hang out with us here at nocturnal nights. Its been great to get to know you better.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book!