Friday, April 4, 2014

Diving Deep into Obsession

I'm locked in rewriting hell. Those of you who have written novels or other long works know exactly what I'm talking about. I look at the thick stack of pages in need of revision, and my pride in having written so many words quickly gives way to the depressing thought of "Now what?"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. That's probably because I've been working for at least sixteen consecutive days now, which for me is some sort of non-NANO record. I mean really working, and I don't like it. Not one little bit.

I am harboring the hope I'm writing my break-through book. Go ahead and chuckle if you've been there. You know what I'm talking about. The opus that will result in an auction. Perhaps even the multiple book deal. Along with reviews attesting to my brilliance. My wit. My oh so unique way of turning a phrase.

It's all I can do not to throttle my computer. Still, I press onward. Listening to my protag's playlist, a collection of songs I'm beginning to loathe. Watching and re-watching and re-watching a film set in my novel's locale, so many times I'm beginning to wonder if I know it better than the director. Fantasizing about killing characters ... even though I'm not writing a crime story.

My only source of solace has been homemade fajita bowls and Klondike bars made with Mrs. Fields' cookies. Did you know they make Klondike bars with Mrs. Fields' cookies? And did you know that adding a bit of salsa to your mashed avodados is the secret to a really divine guacamole?

So come on, please help me ... what are YOUR favorite ways to keep up your energy and your spirits as you dive deep into your obsession?

No comments: