Sunday, November 10, 2013

November: It's Quantity, Quality Comes Later

I know a lot of writers undertaking NaNoWriMo this month. I'm doing it too. It's my fourth year, because I skipped 2012, although I do participate in Camp NaNo.

I have the feeling I'm in for some serious rewrites when November is over. My project this year is the second book in a three book series. It's paranormal/historical romance about three half-demon brothers trying to keep evil from rising because they learned from their full-blooded demon father that love can change everything.

There's a lot of rehashing what happened in the first book in the first and second chapters. Yep. I'll have to thin that out when everything is said and done. Even at the end of week 1, I'm perfectly happy keeping the trash sentences because they count toward my daily word goal. Later, I'll look back and shake my head at my folly. I'm also keeping track of my word count for the year and I'm in par to finish over 300,000 words in novels alone. It's a big deal for me because I often wonder how I'm going to get from point A to point B of a story.

December for some people is all about Christmas. For a word-crazed author, it's about tying up the loose ends and digging into edits after a caffeine-fueled November! The strong bones of the story are in place and I know it's filled with witty dialogue and most importantly, a great love story. It's just going to need some fluffing later.

Whatever your writing goals are this month, or for the rest of the year, good luck with them!

No comments: