Thursday, October 3, 2013

How I came to write paranormal stories


I’ve been quite surprised to find myself writing paranormal stories. I saw myself as writing contemporaries, about ordinary people who find their very hot happily ever after.
But when I thought about a Halloween story, a werewolf just appeared in my head and started talking to me. The end result of that was “Dogged Pursuit” an MM romance. Which is pretty much how my first paranormal book happened. I was writing “Intensity”, Keziah’s story, when a ghost just appeared out of nowhere and took over. John Smith told me “Intensity” was his story as much as Keziah’s. Of course, I was hardly surprised when I sat down to write Tia’s story, “Complexity”, set in the same world as “Intensity”, and another ghost arrived. Gillian explained she was a relative of John Smith’s and she needed Tia’s help. What’s an author to do? Some days I think I just take dictation!


The third book in that world, “Eternity”, is also an MMF ménage. But this time both heroes are vampires. One of them has been a minor character in both previous books, and when I was thinking about the possibility of writing a third book, he told me he was a vampire, and it was time I gave him a happy forever after. Fortunately, the perfect woman for him and his partner was available. I’d hate to annoy a vampire! Or a werewolf. Or even a ghost!
Since then I’ve written several more werewolf stories, “Were the Hell”, another MM Halloween book, and “Werewolves Can’t Fly” an MMF and the sequel to “Flight to Joy”.
But I’ve also managed to write some non-paranormal contemporaries as well.

“Dogged Pursui” blurb:
Dwyer is a two-hundred-year-old werewolf currently working as a limo driver. He’s enticed by the scent of a man he has to take into the city. The man’s smell overwhelms him and calls to him “mate”. Yet he thought only a male and a female could mate and he is gay.
Nelson is equally attracted to Dwyer and the two spend a very hot night together.
However their second date is on Halloween and Dwyer is really struggling to keep his wolf under control.
How is Dwyer going to get himself out of this mess? And what will Nelson’s reaction be? Can they possibly have a future together?

Buy link: http://www.torquerebooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2887

Berengaria Brown
http://berengariasblog.blogspot.com/
http://berengariabrown.com/


No comments: