Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Page Onscreen

Happy New Year! I hope your holiday season was festive and that 2013 brings you health, happiness and humor. As part of the holiday season I went to several films, including "Les Miserables" (which I highly recommend). And last night I watched "Three Coins in the Fountain" (which got me wondering: why don't they make films like that anymore?). I also took in a number of my beloved Agatha Christie flicks on tape. I also saw a number of new releases, which shall remained unnamed ....

What is it about the book, or in the case of "Benjamin Button" short story, that lends itself so well to the silver screen? Why are films that were originally born in book form deeper and more gratifying? Of course there are exceptions - Woody Allen can go mano a mano with anyone out there, then again he's always said he is a writer first and foremost (and if you're looking to laugh, check out his collected essays). By and large I have the impression that the films that start out as screenplays are much like all that popcorn blowing around in the cinema house lobby.

What do you think? Do you prefer films that began as books? Do you read the books first? Have you ever pulled a "George Costanza" - pretended to read the book (in George's case "Breakfast at Tiffany's") for a book club?

No comments: