Tuesday, October 30, 2012

NaNoWriMo – One Day More


National Novel Writing Month is just a day away, and I'm jumping into the madness for the fourth year running. I won my first two years, but last year I was a shameful slacker. This year, I intend to redeem myself and make it well past the 50,000-word finish line.

I've set a personal goal of writing a minimum of 2,000 words per day to reach my prize of 60,000 words in 30 days. However, in order to meet my daily word count, I'll have to control my two biggest writing demons. It will be an internal battle of epic proportions because I am putty in my writing demons' hands.

These demons, "Historical Research" (charcoal is my standard cookie flavor when I research while baking) and "Editing" (my albatross as an English teacher), are critical components of a finished and polished manuscript, but I must not succumb to either of their Siren songs regardless of how much they tempt me until after midnight November 30th.

My NaNo story, Moonlight Sonata, is a romance set in the Colorado Rocky Mountains around 1895. The basic plot is this: The heroine is a doctor returning to New York after working as an itinerant doctor out West for the past two years as she's tried to come to terms with her divorce. The hero is an internationally known composer/violinist with two young children he's sheltering from the public eye because of the scandal surrounding their mother's high-profile, high-society death.

I'll let you know on November 30th how this all turns out.

Until then…happy Novel Writing Month!

Kaye

No comments: