Sunday, November 6, 2011

Falling in Love with Monsters

Once upon a time, we feared the dark and what might be hiding in it. The monsters back then were scary beasts, those who would eat us, or maybe take us away and keep us locked up forever.

When I was about 14, I saw my first movie romanticizing those monsters of the night. It was "Bram Stokers Dracula". The movie enthralled me, and by the end, I was rooting for Dracula to win. I cried at the end when the humans defeated him.

(You can probably analyze that for my weirdness, but... :)

My next experience was Anne Rice's novels, beginning with "Interview with a vampire". Werewolves got into the mix too, with "An American Werewolf in Paris". Not only was the monster a beautiful, kick-ass woman, but there was a human man falling in love with her.

The urban fantasy and paranormal romance genre exploded for me. Now, it's easy to find books of monsters who win, vampires and shapeshifters who are sexy, and the good guys.

I love to read it all, and to write it. It seems I grew up at the perfect time for this blend of sexy, kick-ass paranormal heroines and heros.

And I still love it when the monsters win :)

So Q4U: When did you start loving the paranormal as good guys? What is your favorite paranormal/urban fantasy novel/series?

See ya'll next month.

Amber
http://www.amberkallyn.com/
Twitter: @AmberKallyn

No comments: