Friday, January 21, 2011

The Dragon. The Myth. The Legend.


Happy New Year Everyone!

This month I’m sharing a really cool character from my unpublished book The Discovery in Sky Valley. His name is Dahak. Aka Ahzi-Dahak. He’s not just any dragon, of course. He’s a mythological Dragon from a very real Persian myth.


In the myth, the god Angra Mainyu made the three-headed dragon to be an opposing force to truth and goodness. Hence, in my book he’s the Demon of Lies. Dahak’s cunning and evil whiles ultimately got him into trouble with his creator, who eventually regretted his creation and decided to imprison him in the Underworld located in Mount Damavand.

For several millennia he’s stuck in this prison waiting for a chance to escape. In my book the heroine, Leah follows some mischievous gods to the Underworld in an effort to find the solution to kill the Dragon. Once there she accidentally touches the prison door whereupon unlocking it. She then tries to close it back up, but he escapes anyways.

Like the myth, Dahak runs amok devouring 1/3 of the earth’s population. One version of the myth has him invisible to human eyes while he’s out depopulating the earth. Following this version, I have Leah figuring out a way to kill the invisible three-headed dragon the size of a small office building. Sounds hard, right? It gets worse for the poor heroine!

According to myth he bleeds venomous creatures like scorpions, snakes, and spiders. The heroine uses her sword in her attempt to slay Dahak, but all the while she must contend with these nasty venomous buggers pouring out of him every time she stabs him.

The myth tells that a hero will kill the dragon. Does she kill him? And if she does, how does she manage to succeed against one who’s cunning, invisible, and has mutable blood? Is it even possible to battle him and escape alive? Maybe with some help from godly friends, she just might…

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow!!!!! This sounds very good!!! I would love to read it!

Julie said...

Thanks Brenda! I'm really looking forward to publishing the book.
~ Julie

Duckie said...

hey bud....this is awesome...you are surly the queen of mythology! I can't wait ti read the full version, and if you let me, I'll review for the website I work for!

Sheri Fredricks said...

I'm a fan of mythology. Sounds like an interesting read! Keep us posted!

Julie said...

Thanks everyone! I'll keep ya posted...