Friday, August 30, 2013

"A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity." Franz Kafka


In my May 30, 2013 post here at Nocturnal Nights, I wrote the following about my life settling down after my dad's passing in April: "...I've had more time to myself, which I haven't had in nearly two months. I want to have two of my unfinished manuscripts completed by the time I'd normally return to school in mid-August, and one of them somewhere in the publication process. Time and inspiration will tell, I suppose."
 
Yeah, well, my life hasn't settled down and mid-August is a mere memory. The light I saw at the end of the tunnel was the train coming, not the beckoning light of my computer screen, because last Saturday, my basement flooded. Total disaster. Total remodel. Totally time-consuming to deal with. All my precious writing time has been taken up with sorting the salvageable from the destroyed and damaged. It's a good thing my material possessions don't own me, because I've had to throw away a lot. And I do mean a lot. :-( No news from the insurance adjuster yet.
 
My basement was my writing hovel. So now my writing space is on a five-foot long rectangular utility table in my way too small living room with boxes, totes, and stacks of 'stuff' piled all around with my husband sharing half of the table because his office was also in the basement. The furniture we could keep is in storage as are closets of clothing, coats, etc. It will be another several months before this arrangement changes.
 
A few hours ago, I reached the Kafka stage of my writing endeavors. I am now a monster courting insanity.
 
<shrugging> I guess life has handed me a basket of lemons, so I'm going to make the best of it and make lemonade...or margaritas. :-)
 
Until next time (when I hope to have something positive to report about my writing),
 
Kaye
 
Fall in love...faster, harder, deeper with Kaye Spencer romances
www.kayespencer.com
 
 

No comments: