Sunday, June 30, 2013

What books 'caught' you as a kid?

I grew up surrounded by people who read anything they could get their hands on. I liked to be read too, but the independent reading bug didn't bite me until 4th grade, and then it was, "Put that book down and come to supper!" after that.

It all began with my teacher reading aloud at the end of the school day. She opened up a world of adventure for me with the Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House on the Prairie series. I got my hands on the Trixie Belden books soon after. There was a book called Broomtail that I read over and over. Louis L'Amour came into my reading life when I was in junior high. Then I encountered an English teacher in 9th grade who introduced me to Shakespeare, Steinbeck, Bronte sisters, Victor Hugo, and Alexandre Dumas. I soon discovered the fantasy world of King Arthur through Mary Stewart's  Merlin series, and I dabbled in the era of Jacqueline Susann (Once is Not Enough may have been my first "dirty" book) and, of course, Harold Robbins.

For the fellow Trekkies reading this, remember in Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home, when Kirk and Spock are discussing Spock's attempt at swearing?

Kirk: That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word. You'll find it in all the literature of the period.
Spock: For example?
Kirk: [thinking] Oh, the complete works of Jacqueline Susann, the novels of Harold Robbins....
Spock: Ah... The giants.


Makes me laugh every time.

So, what book(s) turned the reading light on for you (pun intended) when you were in school? And do you ever go back down memory lane and re-read them?

Until next time,

Kaye

Fall in love...faster, harder, deeper with Kaye Spencer romances
www.kayespencer.com

No comments: