Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Focusing on the Negative: WHY DO WE DO IT?

The question is....WHY? Why do we do that to ourselves?


It's something I've been thinking of for awhile. Then, in one of my writer's groups,  someone mentioned how they had some good reviews, but there was that one that wasn't that kept stealing the attention.

I can so understand that.

My second book, Baby Stetson, was released in March. My betas loved it, my husband says it's his favorite book of mine. I've gotten sales..

What did I focus my energy on?

Those stupid returns on Amazon.

Yeah. Totally stole my spotlight. Come on, I should be happy! I released a second book, I created a story that is emotional, grabs people's attention, and it's selling!

So why the heck should I focus so much on the returns when most likely, it's those accidental purchases when they meant to grab a sample, or it's those people that abuse the ridiculous return policy system that shouldn't get a second thought on their crappy practices anyway.

I took it personally. I shouldn't  but dang it. I did. It's like your child, letting them out in the world, and you'd do anything to protect your child...I'm the same way with my book. I know I can't please everyone, yet, that's exactly what I try to do. IT CANT BE DONE! Simple as that.

Somehow, I need to get in my head and shove that negative focusing far out, out out!

I don't just do it with books. Any of my passions, I'm a perfectionist about. Just the other night, I went out to karaoke with my friends. Yes, I know it's karaoke, but with love of singing and performing, I put my all into it. My voice cracked on a high note and I cringed. When I got a compliment later about my singing, I thanked the lady, but of course, dopey me had to mention the negative...how I faltered on that note. Ugh! Can we get a re-write? Why did I just say that?

So, how can we get these ways of thinking out of our mind?   No wonder the world gets in shambles in sometimes...look at our subconscious minds.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Hey, I wanted to let y'all know about a contest going on, too. On my author blog. I'm looking for naming help on Love and Music in Texas Book 2.  That's a way to end this blog post in a positive. Contests, and winning!

http://www.nikkilynnbarrett.blogspot.com/2013/04/contest.html

1 comment:

D'Ann said...

I so understand!