Monday, February 25, 2013

Recipe For Success

Hello and welcome to Tabby's Nocturnal Nights! I’m so happy you stopped by! As some of you know I have a Romance Recipes blog. It’s a fun blog where you can meet a new author, try a new recipe and pick up a new book all in one post! Well, it got me thinking about the recipe for success in our writing. Is there such a thing? Are there ingredients for a successful writing career?
I think so! And I’ve put together a list of what I think are important ingredients to making your writing career a success. I would love for you to add to my list so please leave me a comment with your ingredients for success!
  • Write every day!! This is the most important ingredient for me. I have to write every day to stay in the groove and keep my momentum going. It keeps my creative juices flowing and prevents me from getting out of my routine.
  • Treat your writing as a career. The day I began calling my writing ‘work’ it became a career and I started treating it like a real job, not just something I wanted to do. I began telling my family I was going to work now, even though I was still at home. Soon, they came to understand that mom worked at home and when she was writing she was working. I think it’s important to view your writing, at every stage, as a career.
  • Perseverance is the secret handshake. A very wonderful writer once told me that. When I was still dreaming of being a published writer with a full request into Silhouette Intimate Moments (tells you how long ago it was, lol), I emailed my favorite author, Cherry Adair, and asked for writing advice for an aspiring author. She replied within days and gave me the key to success: the secret handshake. I’ve never forgotten it because perseverance is sooo very important!! Never give up!!
  • Listen to your heart and write what you love. Don’t write for the market or for anyone else. I will always stand true to this because if you write for someone or something else you won’t love your story.
  • Learn the craft of writing. This isn’t a step you can skip. You have to learn your craft. It takes practice just like anything else in life. Read, critique, study, learn.
  • Follow your dreams and never give up! This is an important one!! No matter how many rejections, how many roadblocks, ups and downs, joys, sorrows, heartbreaks—Never give up!! Dreams do come true and you can make them happen as long as you don’t give up!
Thanks so much for stopping by today! I would love to hear your ingredients for success!
Jennifer Kamptner
w/a Jennifer LoweryAction. Adventure. Romance.
'Where happily ever after is only the beginning...'

2006 Golden Heart FinalistAuthor Website  Facebook  Twitter  Romance Recipes
Hard Core  The Treasure   Murphy's Law   

No comments: