Thursday, February 7, 2013

Post, or not to post? What is too much when it comes to marketing your book?




I have my first full length novel coming out in ten days and like any other new author I have been doing everything I can to get the word out. I have blogged, tweeted, triberred and face booked every step I’ve taken. This is what I thought you were to do until I read a post in the Writer’s Journal. This is a great magazine that I found very useful, until now.
The article was titled “Enough is Enough”. The writer went into a rant on how he was being bomb barded by face book posts and tweets about author’s upcoming books. He stated that it got to a point where he just hit delete and never opened, or responded to them anymore. He continued by stating that was ineffective marketing and will result in losing readers instead of gaining them. I panicked. I have not been spamming everyone with my new release, but I was going to. He went on to discuss the ladder effect on how to build an audience then send out new release information. He stated that if you do not have an audience your new release will land on deaf ears. I’m hyperventilating at this point. Everything I have read, and information I have begged for, according to him was wrong. I have a book coming out soon and everything I planned, he states will push readers away. Now what am I to do?
Well I can tell you with my lack of experience I figured that I couldn’t be faulted by my newbie mistakes, or at least I hope not.  I re-read the article and from what little information it had about him he was a professional marketer trying to sell a process, or I hoped it that way.
I decided to poll friends and other authors to see what they thought, that was a mistake. Everyone has a different idea about what is the best way to market. But what they all had in common was you needed to get you name out there and the only way I see to do that is facebook, twitter, tribber and blog spots. So against his best advice I am going to continue to trudge forward and push my information out to anyone who will listen to me and read my posts.
So starting tomorrow I plan on posting, and pushing. What I do know is I’m my own marketer and the best way to get my name out there is to get in front of anyone who will listen. I even got brave and e-mailed a few award winning New York suspense authors and asked if they would review my book. Doesn’t hurt to ask, right?
What do you think, is he right?  If so, what marketing technique do you use?
Not to miss a chance to brag.  





Rescued from the Dark, published through Black Opal Books. 
Released on February 16, 2013. It will be available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble and the publisher’s web site. 
Until next time.   
Lynda

No comments: