Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spending time with your children really is PRICELESS

My earliest memories of summer back a long, long time ago include the yearly trip to our local theme park -- Six Flags Over Texas.

Some of the best memories I have of childhood include my time spent there. This year Six Flags Over Texas is having it's 50th anniversary.

Yesterday my husband and I took our three children and we spent a fun filled day making memories. For the first time my son Nash (who is my middle child and thrill seeker) was tall enough to ride some of the "big kid" rides. So I talked him into riding the park's oldest wooden roller coaster, The Judge Roy Scream.
The Judge opened in 1980 and I was a rider that year it first opened. In subsequent years, I probably rode that coaster 60 times. And yesterday for the first time -- my own little guy rode it with me. It made me laugh and smile at the joy and excitement he gained! And it brings a tear to my eye to think that maybe one day when he looks back on his life he will remember.

Time is fleeting. Capture the moment. Enjoy today...and remember.

Thanks for taking the time.

Kary Rader is a stay-at-home mother of three, avid reader and slave to the characters and worlds inside her head. Always creative, she's drawn to stories with fantastical worlds and creatures. With a little bit of magic and divine guidance, there isn't anything that can't be accomplished. And it's the power of words that creates and destroys. Vanquishing evil and injustice while finding eternal love in the process is all in a day's work. And with the help of her critique partners and master cartographer imaginary places come to life. Come join her for an adventure and maybe you too will be claimed by passion and changed by love. Because there is no greater power than the human spirit and anything is possible if you believe. Let the fantasy begin…

You can find her at www.karyrader.com

7 comments:

Brenda said...

LOL, what a sweet post. I have never been on a roller coaster.

LKF said...

What a great post, and you are so right. Time does go by so fast. I have 5 children and we lived in Houston for the majority of their young years. Six flags and the Zoo was a regular weekend stop for us, but most of our fond memories are our many weekends in Galveston on the beach.
Our memories are such a priceless gift we give each other.
Lynda

Kary said...

My husband hasn't either, Brenda. So you can imagine how much fun he is at Six Flags! LOL

LFK - We used to go to Galveston too. I haven't taken the kids yet but it is so fun to see the things you love become the things they love.

Sheri Fredricks said...

We don't have anything near us, it's all about 5 hrs. away. My kids have never been to an amusement park, and we really want to try and get there this summer. Having livestock blocks a lot of our time away - but we'll do it one day. And I can hardly wait.

Great post, Kary!

Casea Major said...

Sheri, I can imagine you couldn't get away too often. I can hear the conversation in my head. "Joe Neighbor can you feed my sheep and water the cows while I'm gone? Oh and the feild needs plowing." LOL

Stacey Brutger said...

What a great ride and a wonderful memory!!

Time goes so fast. My son graduates high school this week. Make all the memories while you can!!

Kary said...

OMG - Stacey! You have a child graduating HS? You look so young!