Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I Don't Mean To Rush, But...


I don't know about anyone else, but I get sort of itchy around the first of the year. I'm ready for summer. Long walks with my dogs, sunny days with the windows rolled down and the wind in my hair (at which I will undoubtedly complain when I'm brushing out the tangles), picnics at the lake. This year I have one more reason to be chomping at the bit. Maybe not for summer already, but to get through January. I feel like a little kid. Forget Christmas! I'm ready for Valentine's Day. Why, you may ask? Not like it's a real holiday that you get time off for and more than likely we'll be snowed under here in the Midwest *crosses fingers and whispers pleasepleaseplease don't snow us under*.

And truth be told, I'm probably going to be exhausted by the time February is over, but we'll see. I mean, releasing a debut novel--yeah, I said it--can't be an easy task. Right now my juices are really flowing as I line up blog spots, go over editing again, finalize the cover, and work on formatting issues all while trying to keep up with my day job and my life. Whew, who knew there was so much to do! I really wouldn't trade a second of what I've been doing though. It's by far one of the most interesting experiences I've had recently.

It gives me this sense of power to tell people I'm publishing a book. In fact, my husband brought it up the other day when we were in a wine shop. When people ask about my book, I sort of duck my head and bat my eyes (it's this weird thing I do when I'm nervous). I should really get some business cards and hand them out if we're going to play 'Look, I'm an author!' I think I did a pretty poor job of telling the lady what it was about. Oops. I need to work on presentation.

I asked some of the folks at IndieRomanceInk, a  Yahoo!Group, about self-publishing, what they liked best about being indie authors. Most of them say they do it for the money (I guess some of them are really making a killing). Clearly they're reaching a lot of readers and doing pretty well for themselves. Writing, for me, has never been about the money. Yes, I'm thrilled when I place in a contest and I get a check out of the deal, but more than anything I just want to entertain people. We all have those day-to-day annoyances and moments of grief in our lives. If I can tell a story to entertain someone and make them forget their problems for a while, that's all the pat on the back I need. I still won't say no to a check though.

One of those fancy vacays with
the mud baths!
A few of them tell me they do it for control--that's what I've liked best so far about my journey. I carefully consider all the suggestions I get from my critique partners, because they are some smart, smart ladies, but in the end it's my choice, just like when I put out my book and what the cover looks like. Man, it's nice ot be in control somewhere. I'm going to need a long rest come spring. Hey, maybe if I sell enough books, I can go on a really nice vacation!

Wish me luck, because The Treasure Hunter's Lady is coming out in February. If you follow me on Facebook and Twitter, you can find out some of the blogs I'll be touring in the coming weeks and you could even win a copy from a few of the blogs.

Happy reading & writing, everyone!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

I wish you all the luck in the world--but you won't need it. I've read Treasure Hunter's Lady and I love it. I know it will be a hit.

Brenda said...

I wish you all the luck in the world--but you won't need it. I've read Treasure Hunter's Lady and I love it. I know it will be a hit.

D'Ann said...

SO proud of you! You're going to rock once readers start catching on to how great your stories are!

Allison Merritt said...

Thanks you guys. The only thing I'm really nervous about now is reviews. I already have one blogger schedule to review it. I don't even know if I'll be able to read it.

Brenda said...

I have the same fear as you. Reviews scare the poop out of me.

Sheri Fredricks said...

First, CONGRATULATIONS on making the giant leap of faith in your writing!

Undoubtedly, the majority of readers will love your story. How do I know? Because Brenda is a VERY PICKY reader and she loves it. The minority who stay on shore to watch the ship for The Treasure Hunter's Lady sail away were not your target audience anyway.

Best wishes on your book launch.