Sunday, August 14, 2011

What is it about The Hero that captures our imagination?

Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell say there are nine universal characteristics of a hero's journey. After their years of study and research, they found in every society's folklore, myths and legends, that The Universal Hero is present.

What is it that causes us as human beings to seek The Hero?
What is it in our make-up that no matter from what culture or country we come, we are compelled to find someone who can save us?

The reason is two-fold, two sides of a coin.

These two songs illustrate the answer to my question - Enjoy!


We seek The Hero to do what we ourselves can't. To accomplish something we wouldn't dare. We revel in putting our trust in him. An innate need for a savior, causes us to look outside ourselves for someone good who can defeat the enemy and vanquish evil.



But The Hero is also man and experiences life as we do. He feels sorrow and pain. We can relate to him and put ourselves in his place. We can sympathize with him through his trials and understand how he feels and thinks. And when he struggles and ultimately wins, it is for us.


For more great FREE information about the Hero's Journey you can visit this site http://www.webenglishteacher.com/hero.html.

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think it is about The Hero that captures our imagination.

Prior to becoming a writer of romantic fiction, Casea Major worked in the legal field for a non-profit dispute resolution company. She is now a full-time mom to three young children with whom she and her husband live happily...most of the time. When she isn't chained to her laptop, she enjoys Cary Grant movies and crocheting. Visit her at http://caseamajor.wordpress.com/ or on FaceBook http://www.facebook.com/CaseaMajor for information about her current and future book releases.

14 comments:

Lisa Kumar said...

I think we love the idea of a hero because he's the idealized part of ourself that we sometimes wish or strive to be.

Lol, pretty much what you already said, Casea! A hero is a human who is a better version of ourselves because he never gives up until he's overcome all the most dire odds.

Casea Major said...

So true, Lisa. It's his humanity and his ability to overcome and 'conquer all'. I love the idea that in every society the idea of a hero exists. Things that make you say hmmm....

Brenda said...

You are my new hero, lol, for posting a video with my favorite hero of all time--Aragorn.
I got chills watching the video--great song by the way. I love the speech Aragorn gives at the The Black Gates.....awwww, I melt every time!!!
Praise for the hero--WE LOVE AND NEED HEROES!!
Oh, and another hero of mine is Link from the video game: Legend of Zelda.

Tabitha Blake said...

I think every woman dreams of a smart sexy man that can swoop in and save the day. It is programed into us from a very young age. I mean we all read Cinderella and many other fairy tales. Every little girl dreams of her prince charming. I melt when the hero is passionate about his love interest and his goal in the story. A true hero pushes past the worst odds and refuses to give up. Great blog!

Anonymous said...

I think we love heroes because they touch that romantic part of us that wants to be saved, to lean just for that moment, and to believe that there is someone out there who would do absolutely anything to keep you safe when you just don't have the energy to do it yourself.
Great post!

Jenna said...

I am reminded of the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Demi Moore tell's why she likes the defendants who are accused of killing another Marine: "They stand on a wall and they say 'Nothing's going to harm you, not on my watch.'" That's what a hero does. He's the one who takes the bullet for someone else, no matter who it is.

Great post, Casea! We need to remember these things about the hero in order to write him well.

Casea Major said...

Brenda - I love Aragon too! He is the perfect White Knight tortured hero.

Casea Major said...

Tabitha - You are so right! Every woman does dream of a man who can sweep her off her feet. That's why romance beats the socks off of every other genre in sales. It captures the heart of our desire in a very real way.

Casea Major said...

Jennifer - You nailed it. You guys are philosophers too! As romance writers, I think we come to understand that need in women as well as any in our society.

Casea Major said...

Jenna - I love "A Few Good Men". And that line is powerful! Thanks for sharing.

Brenda said...

You know what? I had to come back again and watch the LOTR's vid you posted. Damn, I got chills again! I love it! And the song is so darn fitting!

Sheri Fredricks said...

As soon as I saw the LOTR video, I knew Brendan would be all over this! LOL! I think a hero, be it on the screen or in a book, is a person who makes us wish we could know them better. Someone we crave to be near. Great post!

Brenda said...

LOL, Mike. Yep you know me so well.
Aragorn has just the right amount of handsomeness, sweat, dirt, strength, confidence, humbleness, fear, and sex appeal to make him the hero I would want to get to know better.

Casea Major said...

Sheri and Brenda - Thanks so much for coming by (Brenda again).

Sheri - I totally agree. The Hero is someone you want to know and be around.