Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Calls for Submissions, Deadlines, and Response Times, oh my!

I love a deadline. I'm not being facetious here. Nothing, and I mean nothing gets me in my seat and sets my fingers on fire like a deadline. So, I'm always browsing the internet for Calls for Submissions. Steampunk, Erotic, BDSM, Paranormal...

Just last week, HQN announced a pitch contest for their new Nocturne Cravings line. Cravings evolved from the Nocturne Bites. They are a little bit longer and a lot sexier.

Here is the link, if you are interested.

But, what I really wanted to chat about today is response times.

Waiting has to be THE WORST part of being an author. Once that package has been put in the mail (virtual or snail), the days drag by as you wait. Now, if you are a professional writer (or dream of being one), you know what you should be doing is writing the next book. And you are...between checking your e-mail a thousand times a day.

You also wonder...how long does it take them to get back to you?

I have a handy link I'm going to share with you. Duotrope's Digest.

Duotrope's Digest is a great website. Not only does it give information on hundreds of markets (short story, calls for submissions, themed submissions, etc.), whether they take your genre, offer an advance, and take simultaneous submissions (or not), but if you register, there's a lovely section where you can track your submissions. Because of the large author network, there's also some fantabulous statistics included for the publisher -- avg days to respond, percentage of acceptances, etc.

Hope you can find a use for this little tool.

Happy Writing!

Ericka
www.erickascott.com

No comments: