Thursday, October 14, 2010

Witchy Witchy



Witches have been a part of our history for who know how long. Automatically people picture an old hag, pointed hats, brooms and unimaginable evil. Are witches real? That I can’t say for sure. I do know many people through out history have been killed and tortured because the title of being a witch was placed on their heads. So are they real or just a scapegoat for the bad things that happen to people?

Witch is defined as:
One that is credited with usually malignant supernatural powers; especially: a woman practicing usually black witchcraft often with the aid of a devil or familiar.

But there are two kinds of witches. Those that practice black magic (Evil) and those that practice white magic (Good).



White Magic (Good):
Magic or incantation practiced for good purposes or as a counter to evil.

Witches have a very strict belief in the Law of Three, which states that whatever they send out into our world shall return to them three fold either good or bane. With this in mind, a "True Witch" would hesitate in doing magic to harm or manipulate another because that boomerang they throw will eventually come back to them much larger and harder then when they threw it.



For me the first character that pops into mind when I think of white magic would be Glenda the good witch from the Wizard of Oz. She was sweet, beautiful and her goal was to help others. She represented everything good, happy and loving in our world. Do I believe there are good witches out there? That is a hard thing to answer. But I do believe that if there is something evil out there then there is something good out there to counter it. So if witches are real I guess I do believe there must be good ones as well as bad ones. I mean we have good people in this world and bad ones so why not.




Black Magic (Evil):
Black magic would be invoked to kill, injure, or cause destruction, or for personal gain without regard to harmful consequences to others. As a term, "black magic" is normally used to describe a form of ritual that some group or person does not approve of.

As people realized the power of magic, they started using it to effect revenge, jealousy, anger, sickness, etc. Little did they know of the devastating effects of using magic to hurt others. Maybe they even died without realizing the return of their karma (actions). 


I believe there is darkness in this world and some live to harness that evilness. I also think people don’t know what they are getting into. In my opinion evil would mask its self as glamorous and an easy way to get what you want. This is the way of anything evil it draws you in with big promises and then the reality sinks in that you won’t get what you were promised but then it is too late. Once you make a pact with the devil it is a little too late to change your mind.

To me the witch that sticks in my mind is the one in the story of Hansel and Gretel. She was the image of all things bad in this world. But I also think this was a good way to tell your kids if they didn’t listens and do what they were told bad things would happen to them. As a small child it was a scary story. If you wonder off an evil witch would nab you and bake you in a pie. Talk about telling a horror story.

There are many legends of witches. I am sure you can think of a few off the top of your head. I am going to tell the story of the Bell Witch on the 24th. This one gave me the creeps. I am too big a chicken to ever put myself in a situation that creepy to find out if it is real. I will leave that up to the braver souls that want to take a walk on the dark side.

I don’t know if witches are real or if they just make a good story that sends chills down your spine. I try to stay away from things that lurk in the darkness. If they are true stories and there is something evil out there I sure as heck don’t want to go looking for trouble.

Happy Haunting,
Tabitha Blake


8 comments:

Duckie said...

Awesome topic...I'm re-writing my first MS. aptly named The Witching Chronicles. I am fascinated with them. It's interesting to read the different versions people have of witches. I don't if they are real or not, and maybe that's what draws me to them. Either way they're intriguing beings

Brenda said...

Great topic, Tabby. I think there are those who believe they are witches and they practice magic.
I'm sure that most of the "witches" that were killed in the past were just innocent women. But humans have always looked for someone or something to blame during troubling times.

Tabitha Blake said...

I agree in the past so many were killed needlessly. It is sad really. But I had a lot of fun writing this one. Glad you enjoyed it. I just love Halloween!

Tabitha Blake said...

Your book sounds interesting Duckie. I would love to read it. I am also fascinated with the paranormal. It just draws me in and keeps me reading. It is really nice when others enjoy the stories that bounce around in our heads.

D'Ann said...

Intersting post. I have a cousin who called herself a witch, but I don't know if she meant she practiced magic, or not. LOL. I started writing a story once with a wiccan as the heroine, hated it, and quit.
Don't think I'll do another one. Think I'll leave that up to those better educated in the subject.

Unknown said...

I love witches, always have. My great-great-grandma Opal was a withc. I love that and find it so intriguing. I've always loved to research witchcraft. This post was really great!!

Marianne Stephens said...

Wow...love your graphics! Your website is amazing!
Three seems to be a popular number for things...and now for witches. I didn't know that before. Although, the TV series "Charmed" has three sisters, so I see a connection.

Sheri Fredricks said...

I never knew the Karma wove its way into the belief system of witches. I knew witches believe to really practice black magic, you had to have a black heart. But that's true of all evil doers. Thank you for this post. You always find the best pictures to illustrate your posts!

Now, are you a good witch or a bad witch this Halloween? (and that's Witch with a "W" not a "B")